Recently I attended a premier league game at the Eithad Stadium, the home of #ManCity
The overall experience was fantastic so I wanted to write a quick blog on the things I liked on match day.
- Good signage around the stadium. The signage was clear in terms of the location of my gate and the location of the fan zone at the stadium.
- Entry to stadium was quick and easy. From passing security to gaining entry through the turnstiles.
- The fan zone. The fan zone consisted of interactive games as well as a good range of food outlets. Many of the activities in the fan zone involved a football with a City Volunteer/representative at each area. This meant you where not only enjoying the fan zone but able to engage with the Man City staff. The activities were wide ranging and there was also the chance to take photos supported by data capture. The fan zone also contained a fabulous merchandising store with a wide range of products for fans of all ages.
- Good choice of food in the fan zone. The choice of food wasn’t as good inside the stadium but this didn’t bother me too much.
- Lots of stands selling match programmes.
- Good WIFI inside the stadium. I used the WIFI inside the stadium for posting messages and videos on social media at half time and after the final whistle.
- The PA system was clear and audible. This helped to add to the atmosphere. For example, when announcing the squad lineups pre kick off.
- The stadium was clean with digital screens inside the concourse to watch key moments of the game.
- Inside the stadium there was a jumbo video screen which streamed live interviews of fans and guests from the fan zone. This really added to the build up to kick off inside the stadium. In addition, Man City songs were played through the PA system with great use of the jumbo screen ie presenting the starting eleven.
- Exiting the stadium was quick and easy.
- Branding in and around the Stadium was fantastic. Huge banners showing #ManCity players, key celebration moments and history of the club really helped to bring alive the values of the club. In addition, the name of the supporters clubs and citizen fan members have been printed onto the stadium. Simple but effective touch.
- Transportation – there is a tram system which takes fans to and from the city centre. The trams were regular and reasonably priced.
Overall, Man city are making great strides to make the match day experience memorable for their fans.
Like most sports you also want to see a moment of magic. And I got that when Vincent Kompany struck the sweetest goal from 25 yards. Pure class!
About Geoff Wilson
Geoff runs his own Sports Consultancy, working with clients such as FIFA, UEFA, AFC and FIBA across the world. He is also on the board of Tourism Northern Ireland. You can follow Geoff on twitter @geoffwnjwilson connect on Linkedin at linkedin.com/in/geoffwnjwilson